Teen Titans #1 review


New direction, more attitude, in your face. That's the tagline for this first issue of a new Teen Titans volume. That, and the preview that ran in DC titles last week, had me expecting to be annoyed by this issue. Well, doesn't 'attitude' equal 'annoying'? It certainly did when attitude was zeitgeisty. 

Happily, the title characters here aren't irritating in the least. Wonder Girl, Red Robin, Bunker, Raven, Beast Boy ... while different in personality, they all come across as decent kids as they rescue a school bus from terrorists. The bad guys are out to do something nasty involving Star Labs, but our heroes aren't going to stand by and let that happen. 

Cue plenty of action, planned and improvised, which lets the young metahumans show they're not beginners any more. They know how to use their powers, they work well together - they're pretty much unrecognisable as the sour-faced, backbiting loners who populated the last run. OK, so Red Robin is still rather dour, but he is from Gotham. 

I'm not sure writer Will Pfeifer is trying to say anything with his story, other than 'I'm relaunching the team in a less New 52, more classic mode' (well, there is a tolerance message, but that's pretty much Bunker's every breath). I'll take that, and thank him. 

There's no forced 'edginess', no one is on the verge of villainy. A few baddies die, but there's no revelling in it and, while I'd rather they faced the courts, well, it serves 'em right. Perhaps as the story develops - this issue works as a one-and-done but it's also the beginning of something bigger - we'll see something of Pfeifer's world view. 

For now, though, I'm just delighted to see a story of the newest Titans that doesn't make me retch. Lots of camphones at the end of the issue set up the apparent direction which sees the Titans as celebrities. It's an overdone concept which doesn't excite me in the least, but Pfeifer wrote one of my favourite Aquaman runs - if you missed the Sub Diego stories, dive into the back issue bins - so he gets some leeway. 

Using Star Labs is a nice nod to the New Teen Titans launch of the Eighties, and it also allows some pre-New 52 DC characters to enter the revamped continuity. 


I spot Josiah Power of the Power Company super-team and Manchester Black of the Elite. Anyone recognise Jensen or 'Sir'?

Kenneth Rocafort's art is clean, energetic, full of fascinating layouts that don't get in the way of the storytelling. New York looks fantastic, and I appreciate the character he puts into the non-speaking bystanders. I like his take on all the characters, but Wonder Girl really does need straps on that costume. She'd be falling out of it every ten seconds, and isn't Cassie Sandsmark meant to be an adventurer, a practical type?


Rocafort's work is coloured by Dan Brown, who makes things fresh without being too bright, while John J Hill's letters are sharp and welcome. 

In an age when relaunches almost inevitably bring a price bump, kudos to DC for holding the Teen Titans line at $2.99. And even more thanks for giving the team a second chance at stardom. On the basis of this issue, it might just work. 

Comments

  1. Definitely can't wait to pick this up. Good review.


    ReplyDelete
  2. This: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?id=52103&page=article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, saw that at the time, thought it might motivate a tweak to the art. No such luck.

      Delete
    2. Aw shit, now I remember why this looked familiar: it's that tits book. Is it good or bad that now I know it's a title made to help make young women feel bad about their body image I sort of want to check it out now?

      Delete
    3. I'd like to thank you Tom Badguy, that article made my day as well as made me laugh out loud. Certainly the powers that be at DC have little faith in a title which may sell to youth (or maybe adults who don't buy comics based on their libido or fondness for ultraviolence) doing well (do all 52 have to be Teen+ rated?), but as the article points out it really seems odd to take that tack with the Teen Titans of all characters.

      Of course, thanks, as always, to Mart for the great review and for keeping the heat on these companies to keep the prices low!

      Delete
    4. Not sure I'll ever to bring myself to reading the New 52. That article is one of many reasons.

      Delete
    5. Aw come on Brig, dodgy as the cover may be, it's not 'made to help young women feel bad about their body image'. I've seen women mock and sigh and point out why that image isn't good, but I think everyone's bright enough not to feel bad about themselves because Cassie has a couple of inflatables attached to her chest.

      And hello Mr Whiskas, I liked that article too. But where was Internet Outrage when I reviewed JSA All-Stars #1 back in 2009, eh, eh?

      http://dangermart.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/jsa-all-stars-1-review.html

      Go on to Tom, it's been three years. Try an issue, DC staff won't be able to retire if you spend a few dollars on one comic. You may even enjoy it.

      Delete
    6. While I don't think anyone involved in the production of it got up in the morning and decided to create something toxic, Martin (it is a perfectly good image in its own right), I do think - especially after the discussion surrounding it arose and DC staffers publicly responded to valid observations with hostility - that what started as merely a symptom of the industry's attitude eventually became a banner for it by way of DC's typically insensitive response.

      And hey, it worked - I said I wanted to check it out because of the hubbub. Maybe DC are onto something with that whole "no such thing as bad publicity" angle.

      Delete
  3. I bought this on the basis of your tweet saying this was a pleasant surprise, and it certainly was. I hope Pfeiffer & Rockafort have a nice run on this book -- this was the best issue of Teen Titans I've seen since long before the New 52. It's nice to see the kids finally in good hands.

    (Nice to see Josiah Power, too! Wow!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the book too, Rob. Now, where's my Power Company revival?

      Delete
  4. When did Beast Boy become green again. Not that I'm complaining. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I dropped off Titans and came back only with the last issue. Anyone?

      Delete
  5. I just can't spend one cent on my FAV character (Raven) in the ludicrous outfit. There isnt one reason for it to be so impractible and ugly! Just hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is rubbish, this would've been a fine time to change it.

      Delete

Post a Comment