Silver Surfer #6 review

I've not been reading many Marvel Comics of late. Secret Wars wasn't my cup of tea, providing a great opportunity to stop purchasing digitally day and date and finally use my Marvel Unlimited subscription. Civil War 2 pulling the line together again - well, more like strangling it - has seen me buying only books I really, really like. Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hellcat... and Silver Surfer. 

There's a wonderful breeziness to this series as the Surfer and companion Dawn Greenwood explore the literal Marvel Universe. Big fights, bigger vistas and, occasionally, big emotions. And that's what we get in this issue, the sixth of the latest relaunch and the 200th Marvel publication bearing the name. The action comes as Spider-Man helps the Surfer deal with shape-changing 'Terra Forms', which take on the appearance of your greatest fears. This makes for a cute scene with Spidey biffing the lookalike of a certain demon...
The heart of the issue, though, is Dawn's reunion with mother Libby, who walked out on her twin daughters and husband 13 years earlier. Dawn's not prepared for it, the Surfer having decided to find her as a surprise present and zoomed them to Libby's front door - even after years of dealing with Earth people, he's not exactly intuitive when it comes to human emotions. The Surfer could take Dawn away again, but she decides to confront her mother. 
An awkward start, but as Dawn tells Libby about her amazing life, they seem to be making a connection. That notion is tested as the two story strands converge...

Writer Dan Slott's pitch for this issue could have been that popular Facebook status: 'It's complicated'. I'd have loved a wonderfully warm reunion story, with Libby's reasons for abandoning her husband and kids explained and excused, but Slott would rather make us think. 

Damn you, Slott!

The script is as smart as I've come to expect from Slott, with a sharp plot, well-worked action scenes and terrific dialogue. 
As for the art, illustrator Mike Allred and colourist Laura Allred give us some wonderful San Francisco-set scenes (extra points for ignoring the glowing bits of Spidey's current costume). It's fascinating that the first impression is pure eye candy, but a closer look shows that his characters have real depth. And Allred M. has few peers when it comes to showing body language.

Throw in a lettercol and titchy repros of all 200 covers and you have a splendid anniversary issue, one that shows us that sometimes the biggest adventures are the more intimate ones. 

Comments

  1. Thats awesome to hear. Awesome review, what do you think of most of the Marvel line, any other books that you've been reading as of late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, correction, any other Marvel books that you've been reading as of late aside from the ones previously mentioned?

      Delete
    2. Hi Antman, I shall see if I can work up a post or two!

      Delete
  2. I buy this book despite Allred, whose art has always repulsed me. It was a decision I made after I read a series of tweets Slott made in support of a fellow creator attacked by misguided online activists. I felt he should be rewarded the only way in my power so I started buying Silver Surfer. I am the one rewarded now. That Dawn and her mother plot just killed me in a good way. It was so real. Sometimes when a bad person gets their chance to stand up and do the right thing this time, they choose to do the wrong thing selfishly again. What makes this series good is despite teh situations being pure fantasy, the characters are real...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, your reaction to Mike Allred's art - I thought everyone liked his stuff. I'm glad you're enjoying the book regardless. I have the opposite reaction to Dan Slott on social media, he seems very Tom Brevoort in his bad-tempered tweets.

      Delete
  3. I have loved this book (both volumes) by these creators. It is just a trippy wild ride. It both loves comics and occasionally jabs at it as well. I just love it.

    Loved the Mephisto punch.
    Loved the Firelord chat.
    Loved when Surfer said 'With cosmic power comes cosmic responsibility'.

    And yet despite all that, the book is really a love story between Surfer and Dawn. This issue with the reunion with the estranged mother was quite sad. Still, it was seamlessly inserted into this sort of silly team-up.

    Love this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is something special, the two volumes should make for a great fat collection.

      Delete
  4. A great issue, but the previewed cover for next month's issue made me snort out loud...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment