Superwoman #1 review

A few months ago, when the New 52 Superman died, in a panel that didn't call attention to it itself, his energy passed onto Lois Lane and Lana Lang. Anj from Supergirl Comic Box Commentary totally called it, as the kids say, and predicted it would lead to this Superwoman series. And here it is, the new book we knew would star Lois Lane. But what of Lana?
She's here too, training Lois in the use of her new abilities. How to fly without getting dizzy, how to focus heat vision ... it turns out Lana helped train Clark before he became Superman. She's great at it, and soon Superwoman is the new Metropolis Marvel, swooping in and out of the concrete canyons, saving lives and winning hearts. 

Oh, and I liked the Kingdom Come nod. 
Lana, meanwhile, has moved from Smallville to Metropolis and parlayed her knowledge as an electrical engineer into a career as science expert for the Daily Star digital media group. She's on hand to be the silent partner as Superwoman Lois ensures self-styled Superman Lex Luthor doesn't get to be their late friend's legacy. 

Lex's latest grandiose gesture, the Gestalt, a ginormous battleship to help protect the city, leads to Lois's biggest test yet. She does well for a newbie, but needs help. Super-help. 
It's a moment I wouldn't give away were it not for Lana as Superwoman Too on this issue's cover. Where Lois is a trad Superwoman, Lana is a callback to the Nineties Electric Superman, complete with jagged costume design. It's a really clever move by writer/artist Phil Jimenez, using Superman history to create something new. That's also what he's doing with his spin on the Silver Age Lois/Lana relationship, frenemies before the (admittedly ugly) term was coined. 
There's a lovely dynamic between the pair - Lana the quietly determined farmer/electrical engineer, Lois the sarcy big city reporter, both of them singularly smart, good people. Seeing them team up to save a bridge from Lex's warship when it's taken over by forces unknown gives me a huge kick. Jimenez makes the team-up extra special by showing that superpowers don't make things super-easy - sometimes brains are the biggest super-power of all. 
I also like this new character; she doesn't get namechecked here, but Jimenez kindly reveals, by the power of Twitter, that she's named Nadidah and he has plans for her. Brilliant - I work in journalism and she totally sounds like a news person, endearingly cynical (seriously, we are lovely people!). I also hope to see more of George Taylor, original editor of the Daily Planet, New Teen Titans escapee Bethany Snow and Lana's production team. 
Oh, and if Lana's adorable pup hasn't been named yet... CONTEST! I'd go for Potter. 

Did I mention that this is a double-sized issue? Not in terms of pages count, but certainly where content is concerned - Jimenez packs the pages with panels, giving us enough story for two regular DC books (or a year's worth of some Marvels). It makes me very happy I'm reading digitally, with the ability to go in close. 

Guided View on Comixology also lets me better appreciate the pencils of Jimenez - he's a veteran by now (sorry sir!) and it shows - his storytelling is crystal clear, populated by distinctive people in convincing surroundings. The splash spread of Lois flying over Metropolis is especially lovely, the quiet flashbacks of Lois and Lana forging a partnership a model of how to make quieter moments compelling, while the final fight scene - yep, there's a supervillain in here - is shockingly good. 

Matt Santorelli is a new name to me, but he does a splendid job of enhancing Jimenez' pencils, while colourist Jeromy Cox and letterer Rob Leigh do their usual great job. Jimenez' movie poster-style cover, coloured by Steve Downer, is a tad too busy, maybe, and having Superwoman Lois looking up, up and away from the reader is a surprising choice, given everyone has known it's her for months. Once more though, you can't fault Jimenez for trying to give the reader their money's worth and I have to say, I'm hugely intrigued by the inclusion of teen mystic Traci 13 and 'I was there long before Riri' Natasha Irons, both characters I've missed having around. Just don't bring back Cir-El... I could totally see Jimenez reusing the least-popular Supergirl ever - mind, he'd probably make her a decent character. 
The variant cover by Terry and Rachel Dodson is simpler in concept, and rather gorgeous all-round but again, the two covers are doing different things - both do what they set out to do very well. Paul Kaminski and Eddie Berganza are the final people in the credits box and they deserve kudos for their editing efforts. 

DC Rebirth really has given a shot in the arm to the company's line-up and this is one of my favourites - a massively entertaining superhero story full of character, action and mystery. Do not miss it. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for the review Mart! This might just get me to start buying again. Though I hesitate to open that can of worms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the art and visual call backs were fun. I loved the return to a story on page which I thought has been lost since the 90s deconstruction mania.

    However?? I really did not like this issue. I don't have any problem with the story being told through Lana's eyes. However it is how it is being told which bothered me. This read as perfect Lana with Lois coming on bended knee begging for help.

    The revision around what happened in Truth just really really bugs me. On page we saw Lois made this decision to save Clark. Clark even admitted her reasons were sound. Yet in this issue we take a step back just to give Lana righteous indignation.

    We just get Lana in to her insect queen persona and go full out silver age.

    I also didn't like that Lana was such an expert on almost everything and anything. Especially the training. I think it would have been a lot more fun to see a more "blind leading the blind" situation. Some comedic elements.

    Rebirth hasn't wowed me. I think it is because they built it on the foundation of a seriously flawed 52 universe. And all those things which happened is still influencing the present.

    Had this story not made Lois the insecure "hat in hand" character and given the Lana/Lois relationship more balance I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting, Maya, I didn't see Lana being presented as perfect. To me, she seemed a little bit of a grump with Lois, 'short' as probably only we in the UK say. She said people find Lois irritating, and was openly bitter about the secret ID business. I thought It reflected well on Lois that she didn't get catty back, and was open enough to ask for help. She didn't seem insecure so much as smart enough to go to someone who knew more about super-powers.

      I do agree that Lana becoming yet another all-purpose scientist was a bit much.

      So, who thinks Lois' final words hint that she's not dead, her essence has been transported somewhere, leaving a husk? Maybe she'll be combined with older Lois.

      Delete
    2. I hope she's not merged with older Lois. But yes, I don't think she's dead. I have no idea though what they will do.

      Delete
    3. Wonder if she saw the big reveal and Doctor Manhattan?

      Y'know, this issue hit so many right beats I'm surprised I don't like it more than I do. I'm somewhere between you two (heavier on the like), but I really can't put my finger on what it is.

      I definitely didn't like the retcon on Lois' reveal of Clark's ID, but maybe it was colored by Lana's prejudice? (I doubt that.)

      Still, a book to keep an eye on.

      Delete
    4. So what I'm hearing is that Lois dies in this issue?

      Delete
    5. No such luck. It's a typical cliffhanger and the Great Value Lois has been seen on covers for future solicits in months to come.

      Someone at Jesse James Comics said the books are all telling the same set of stories. I told him I knew that but the fun was seeing different art on a trope or it interpreted by a different style of writer. I was specifically talking about why I was picking up Superwoman. Now I know what it looks like, which was fine, but I really was bored and turned off alternately so no issue number two for me!

      Delete
    6. But as far as this issue goes, Blue Lightning, Lois dies. She will likely come back, but it's not like companies haven't used fake art previously to shade a surprise.

      Nice work at the comic shop, Steve!

      Delete
  3. I like to call it "The Amazing Story of Electric Superwoman Red and Superwoman Blue."

    Gotta say, if we take the final page at face value, that's one helluva bait and switch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Lois and Lana will merge? ;)

      Delete
    2. Lona?

      Thinking on, maybe the death/'death' of Lois explains the odd pose on the cover - in some Dutch mirror style artistic code, Lois is heading for heaven

      Delete
    3. Well, SOMEone with dark hair and a red cape is on the cover to #3, anyway...

      Delete
  4. what's with all the cir-el hate also do you think lana an steel will hook up never read doomed or truth except through reviews an cobbled together the idea that they had some chemistry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was no longer reading comics at the time Cir-El came about, but just reading about them, and even I was annoyed at yet another Supergirl, so much like the original, but not the original. So perhaps there was a "just bring her back or don't, but make up your mind" feeling?

      Delete
    2. Big Shadow, Lana and Steel have been together since the great Action Comics run by Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder.

      Blue Lightning, who knows what the thinking behind a Cir-El was. I hated her from the daft name on.

      Delete
    3. ". . .great Action Comics run by Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder."

      It was disappointing. ;)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this immensely in every way. Great art, good dialog and characterization. Fast paced and juicy. I sure hope Los isn't gone, because the kind of relationship between the 2 women leads, and heck having a book with two, is something I don't think I've seen before --yet really got into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Anthony, with luck Lois will be back in a few months for some more fun.

      Delete
  6. I didn't see Lana as perfect, either. She gave as good as she got: "Your cape looks huge right now" made me laugh.

    And don't name that bulldog unless you want Jon Kent to come by and roast it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good grief, you're right. Get that pup a Doghouse of Steel!

      Delete
  7. gonna admit my favorite part is when lois saves those people on the jet an they do theo whole whose got you bit from the old superman movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the one hand, I smiled. On the other, that's not something anyone living in Metropolis would ever say, surely?

      Delete
  8. Good start. Very nice opening issue. Hope Jiminez can keep it up. Oh, please, no pandering, Jiminez! Lana and Lois are far from the first female heroines to wear the "S". That glass ceiling was broken decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment