Scooby-Doo Team-Up Chapter #65 review


I know that Mystery Inc are brilliant detectives, but who knew their reputation extended into the 31st century? They’re certainly surprised when three teenagers from the future show up. 


Suitably convinced they’re dealing with future folk, Daphne, Fred, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby jump into the time bubble to investigate the apparent ghost haunting the Legion of Super-Heroes’ clubhouse. And it’s not just any spook...


This is part one of two, and it’s delightful, obviously DC’s Christmas gift to this old Legion fan. Seeing them in their Silver Age outfits had me smiling, as did the founders’ heavy-handed demo of their prowess which recalls their first appearance. 

Writer Sholly Fisch surprised me by making the phantom an actual ghost from Legion history - I can’t wait to see what’s really going on. So far the highlight is an encounter with prime suspect Douglas Nolan, Ferro Lad’s twin. He wears a mask, how could he not be a fake ghost?


The gags are terrific, all nicely tailored to fit the characters, though there are fewer than usual, there’s a slightly darker tone that’s appropriate for a story spinning out of one of the Legion’s saddest moments. 

Illustrator Dario Brizuela again shows how adaptable he is, giving us versions of superheroes that fit into Scooby-Doo’s world without taking them off-model. Colourist Franco Riesco adds the bright colours that are so right for the Legion’s optimistic 31st century, while Saida Temofonte’s lettering is as breezy as you could wish for. 

The story concludes in two weeks - I could take an entire series of 31st-century Scooby. 

///////////////

Scooby-Doo Team-Up Chapter 65, Sholly Fisch, Dario Brizuela, Franco Riesco, Saida Temofonte

Comments

  1. Ah! You've been faithfully chronicling the wonderfulness that is this series, but with the Legion in it you must have been drawn to it more than Sally P to an issue featuring Hal Jordan drawn only from behind ;) Great review, Mart, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, and I was tipped off to something I missed this week... must review!

      Delete
  2. I will definitely be getting this.
    Love the old school Legion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the first book I read when I brought home my first stack of comics in a month. And MAN, it did not disappoint. Fisch, as always, does some nice comparative gags with the Mystery Inc. crew and their guest-stars; the Matter-Eater Lad sequence was fun, and I loved thinking how Daphne would get along with Karate Kid. (He did have a thing for 20th-century redheads.)

    And Dario Brizuela does some fantastic work -- my favorite bits were a heavy-lidded Emerald Eye, and the phenomenal second-to-last page with Validus. I need to find out if he sells original art; that may be the sweetest page in Legion history. And my heart swelled with the additions to the ranks of honorary Legionnaires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with getting that art... have you thought about tweeting editor Kristy Quinn? And I love your Karate Kid and Daphne idea, we know she has the karate chops!

      Delete

Post a Comment